Ever since i remember, i have faced skin problems (Thanks to oily skin!!!). I had given up!! I couldnt have great skin ever. I had to live with my skin issues.
I remember sharing my skin problems with a dear friend of mine and she said haven’t you used a toner? I was like, what is that? Yesss…. i know it might be shocking to a lot many of you but i hadn’t heard or used a toner until by final year of undergrad. Let me tell you, i really thank her for that advice. Because that piece of advice changed my skin care game for good. And yes it has helped me have a smooth toned and healthy skin. This was one, the second one was something my husband had been coaxing me to do but i just didnt. You know how they say, Wife is always right. Well i definitely believed in it until i listened to him and came to realise that husbands can be right too (uhh..only sometimes!).
So here’s two things that completely changed my skin care game and for good.
TONER: Well let me tell you toners play a great role in skin care regimes, and especially for oily skin people. I bless the person who invented it and also bless my friend who introduced us. First lets talk about how and what a toner actually does.
- It shrinks your pores- Just take some toner on a cotton ball or pad and dab it onto your skin, let it sit for a few minutes and then apply your daily moisturiser. Thats it! simple isnt it? this will help to remove excess oil and will thus give smaller pores.
- Restores skin pH balance- Naturally, our skin has an acidic pH. Somewhere between 5 and 6. Now, the soaps/ face washes that we use are known to have a alkaline pH. Thus using them on a regular basis can disturb your skin’s normal pH. This is where the toner helps to balance that disturbance and bring it back to normal.
- Protector- As i said earlier, it helps in closing or reducing the pores and hence tightens the cell gaps. This prevents the impurities and pollutants from entering the deeper layers of the skin and thus reducing the gunk that accumulates in the pores.
- Some toners available these days even have a moisturising property to themselves. So 1 product and two steps of your skin care routine done.
- Refreshener: Just spray/ dab a little toner on your oily and dirty skin. VOILA!! Refreshed skin and refreshed you.
- I have read somewhere that the glycolic and the other alpha hydroxy acids in a toner help to prevent ingrown hair. I havent ever tried using a toner for this purpose, but i will definitely try it out and let u all know.
The biggest problem i suffered was of breakouts. may it be that time of the month or for that matter eating raw onions and garlic. But thanks to this little guy here, i am able to keep those monsters at bay. Though a couple of them (read 1 or 2) do visit me every month, but now they dont scare me anymore. I know what they are frightened of and i always have it for my rescue.
At present I am using the Biotique Bio Honey Water pore tightening toner with Himalayan waters for all skin types, the Neutrogena Deep Clean blackhead eliminating cooling toner and sometimes my Kama Ayurveda Pure Rosewater.
We all use sunscreens right. But I was a person who used sunscreen only while going out in the sun. My husband kept telling me that I should use them on a daily basis but somehow, I never listened to him. But now that I have started using it every day, I thank him for that. Lets just first talk about the uses of a sunscreen in general and then I will tell you how it helped my skin.
- Protection- Sunscreens mainly act by absorbing or reflecting the UV rays. It prevents the harmful rays from reaching the deeper layers of the skin and thus preventing damage. This helps to keep premature aging at bay.
- It has been proven that sunscreens lower the risk of skin cancers caused due to the harmful UV rays.
- Lowers blotchiness on face– sunscreens prevents the onset of blotchiness and red veins. This is also important to prevent acne and other sun rays induced damages.
- Prevents sunburns– I have had numerous sunburns during my undergrad years. We had to walk from our hostel to college and elsewhere within the campus in a temperature of around 48 degrees. This gave me sunburns on my face. And that too in spite of covering my face with a scarf. Yes, I had this misconception that covering my face with a scarf and an umbrella was enough. But it was not. Only when I started using sunscreen on a daily basis with a minimum SPF of 30 did I get rid of sunburns and other skin damages. Sunburns weaken our skin and make it prone to other sun induced damages. It may lead to peeling, redness, hives and itching. This can in turn escalate the risk of skin cancer.
- Prevents tanning– some people like to sunbathe to tan. But at the same time they are exposing themselves to harmful UVB rays for a great amount of time. Sunscreens play a major role here. A minimum of SPF 30 should be used.
- Healthy skin– as discussed earlier, sunscreens prevent the harmful rays from entering the deeper layers of the skin. Hence they protect the essential skin proteins like collagen, keratin and elastin. Thus keeping our skin smooth and healthy.
- Cosmetic option– many sunscreens these days double up as a moisturiser also.
Now, coming back to me. Using a sunscreen on a daily basis has given me a even toned skin, lesser fine lines and overall an improved complexion by preventing dullness and pigmentation . I use it in my morning skin care routine, as a third step that is after applying my moisturiser. When going out, apply it 30 minutes before stepping out for best results.
At present I am using the Biotique Bio Aloe Vera 30+ SPF UVA UVB sunscreen lotion for normal to oily skin alternately to my all time favourite Lotus Herbals Safe Sun Sunblock SPF 30.
So thats it.. Simple isnt it. Do try it out and i am sure you will get the desired results.
Stay tuned for more