As parents, it is our responsibility to teach them about good manners, so as to make them respectful individuals. Today’s post is about the three 3 magic words that we need to teach our kids so as to raise helpful and grateful individuals.
We as parents do everything in our power to fulfill our child’s needs & wants, no matter big or small. Our parents did the same for us. But wouldnt it be nice to express a polite and grateful attitude in return. They do everything to make our life happy, content & comfortable. However, sometimes uternknowingly, kids fail to acknowledge their efforts. Especially kids this generation. They get everything even before asking for it. We often overlook their mistakes saying its Ok, he/ she is a child. But somewhere all of this is leading them to ignore/ not know the importance of these magic words. The best any person can show gratitude towards someone’s efforts is by using these 3 words- SORRY, PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
Now, why really is it necessary to learn these mannerisms.
- For better interaction/ communication with peers and everyone else. So better social inclusion.
- They change the perception people have about us/ positive reaction.
- Increases level of socializatio and hence helps in better adapting to environment and surroundings.
Teaching these values requires patience, efforts and preseverance. You need to repeat them again & again for it to become a habit. It is important that we teach them that all relationships work by the give & take policy. And that this is the best way to give in return. To begin with we need to teach them the meaning of these words. Why and where are they to be used.
THANK YOU– Shows gratitude towards generosity. It is a hallmark of civility. It will teach them to be grateful and will help them value other’s efforts.
PLEASE– teaches respect. We have to tell them that they need to use PLEASE whenever they need a favor. That they can get something only if asked respectfully. Let them understand that others have the right to share or not. It expresses both respect & consideration, changing a command into a request.
SORRY– To teach them to recognize their mistakes and work towards correcting them. It is an act of courtsey and maturity. It is one of the simplest way to end volatile fights. One should take responsibility for their actions. Also, it is one of the simpleast way to express sympathy & regret.
Now comes the how to..?
- Lead by example– this is the best way to teach. We all know children learn more by observing. Use them in your daily conversations with your children, friends & family.
- Learn with fun– device a fun way to teach them the relationship between good manners and positive outcomes. Teach them through games, stories, songs or role play.
- Make them feel– I kow some of you might not agree with this. But kids learn a lot of things through practical demonstrations. So once in a while let them feel how not using these words develops hurt and negativity.
There is a chapter in my daughter’s english textbook called “The Magic Tree’ which talks about a boy and a tree and these words. At the end of the lesson there is this beautiful quote, which actually inspired me to write this post. It goes-
“It is often said that a man’s true character/ worth is measured by how he makes use of these three words.”